Some temporary trial measures will be installed in Stirchley local centre over the next few weeks to create safer space for people and enable social distancing in this area of high footfall.
Proposed measures include:
- Footway/pavement widening to create additional space for people and spill out activity, including through the suspension of some on-street parking.
- Reallocation of road space on the northern side of the gyratory (Hazelwell Street) to enable people to maintain social distancing.
- Junction improvements at Bournville Lane to make it easier for people to cross on foot, by installing a central refuge and temporary ramps.
- Surface treatments at crossing points and on side road junctions along the high street to emphasise these locations to both pedestrians and drivers.
- Potential for more cycle parking in the area to encourage local trips by bike (let us know where you think this is needed).
This scheme is being delivered on a temporary trial basis for the next few months, with the potential for these measures to be made more permanent if this is something people want to see happen.
We want to hear what you think about these proposals These changes will be introduced on a temporary trial basis (a condition of the funding is that the measures must be in place by the end of August).Trials will initially last for up to 6 months, giving an opportunity to see how they are working and to make any necessary changes.
We want to work with local residents, businesses, community groups and others to encourage difference uses of this space.
We can also think about how any trial measures might be made more permanent, if this is something people want to see happen – this process should be shaped by the people who live and spend their time in this area.
You can give feedback online via the Stirchley local centre section of our Commonplace site, or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The scheme covers the length of the High Street so please take a look at all 3 pages. Comments need to be submitted by 31st July so be quick!!